1973 Chevy K5 Blazer Baja Build, Kings, cage, built 350
Year, Make, Model
1973 Chevrolet Blazer
Rebuilt SBC, Vortec heads
Gas, Holley EFI
manual, 4 speed, SM465
Dana 44, 3.73, Spartan Locker
12 bolt, 3.73, Auburn Limited Slip
Suspension and Steering
Deaver leaf springs, King 2.0 shocks with remote reservoir, 5" total lift
Tires and Wheels
35" BFG Mud Terrains with 50% tread
1973 K5 Blazer Smog exempt
Time to sell of my toy. Too many toys to build.
Couple of build threads with lots of info and pictures. - https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/say-hello-to-charlotte-my-73-k5.130285/ - https://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums/showthread.php?17351-Crustys-73-pre-runner-build
Asking 10K OBO. Over $10K in suspension and axle work alone.
Possible trade for work on my house. I need a new roof, stucco repair and house painted. Make me an offer. Worst I can say is no.
Originally purchase from PO with work done by Solo Motorsports. Interior cage, Deaver springs, King shocks 2.0 smooth body with remote resi (12” F/18” R), spare tire rack hanging out the back. Strapped at 2” of droop. Front and rear tube bumpers with front skid plate. Truck is lifted about 5”, all springs. What I’ve done since owning it.
FRONT DANA 44:
- Complete rebuild on front axle. All new bearings, seals, bushings, ball joints, Tie rod ends, U joints, wheel studs, disc, brake pads. Pinion uses a 1350 U joint. Gears are stock 3.73 gears but I gutted the carrier and installed a Spartan lunch box locker in it. Re built the king shocks with all new seals and oil and changed the flutter stack to make the initial hit smoother. Relocated the shock mounts so I can get the full 12” of travel. 6” droop, 5” compression. Strapped. Lower shock mount is also a gusset to support the “C”’s on the axle ends.
- Installed 1 ton high angle Tie Rod ends on a cross over steering set up. 2WD steering gear box with a Jeep ½” drop pitman arm to clear the springs.
- ORD engine cross member installed with DIY 4X motor mounts.
REAR 12 BOLT:
Complete rebuild of the rear axle. All new bearings seals, 3.73 gears, Auburn gears limited slip, Wheel studs, all brake hardware, Heavy duty drums/shoes. Rebuilt the shocks with all new seals and oil. Built new lower shock mount to use the full 18” of travel. 9” up/down. Strapped. No blocks.
15X10 old school aluminum rims. 35” BFG Mud terrains with about 50% tread left.
BUILT 350 MOTOR with HOLLEY EFI:
- I rebuilt a 1990 350 motor from a K5. Standard bore. Crank polished.
- New flat top pistons balanced to + or - .25 grams.
- New Comp Cams roller cam. Used GM roller lifters and hardware. New cam thrust plate.
- New true roller timing chain
- New high volume oil pump
- New Vortec heads set up for .550 lift cam. New valves, valve springs and seals. 7⁄16 screw in studs. Scorpion 1.6 full roller rockers. Pocket ported to clean up intake and exhaust runners and smooth transitions to valve seats. Polished exhaust ports. Port matched to intake and exhaust.
- Air gap style Vortec intake.
- New water pump, alt, 3 ow aluminum radiator, Power steering pump w/ cooler, Factory oil cooler, 50K HEI coil in cap distributor and accel wires.
- Headman long tube headers. New true dual 2 ½” exhaust with dynomax mufflers. Factory serpentine set up.
- Holley Sniper EFI. Tanks inc in tank pump and sump system. Russell lines and fittings with return plumbed back to the tank. I modified the in tank system by mounting the factory sending unit to the back of the support arm. That way there is only one hole in the top of the tank. 32G factory tank with skid plate.
- Heavy duty 12” clutch and pressure plate. New flywheel.
- Motor has about 425 HP/475 TQ.
- Factory Sm 465 transmission with new gaskets. Repaired the shifter mount to tighten it up so less slop and better shifts.
- Rebuilt 205 T case with all new gaskets, seals and bearings. Looks to have a factory SYE on the rear output. 1350 U joints.
- Came with a full interior cage but it was blocking the dash so I cut out the front part of the cage.
- PRP bucket seats front and PRP bench seat rear. Crow 2 point belts. Seats are worn.
- Vintage Air system installed with a Sanden compressor. Custom mounting brackets built for the compressor to mount to the factory compressor mount and still use the serpentine belt system.
- Custom dash insert with marshall electric gages:
- Electric speedo with pulse adaptor on T case output.
- Oil pressure
- Oil temp
- Water temp
- Transmission temp
- Fuel level
- Volt meter
- I took a ’85 K5 wiring harness and modified it for this K5. Has power windows, power door locks. Removed wiring for the AC and heat since I installed the Vintage Air system
- Split the fuse block to run 2 batteries isolated from each other.
- One battery runs all lights, stereo and race radio.
- Primary battery runs everything else.
- Blue seas battery isolator keeps the circuits separate when the engine is not running but will combine and charge both batteries when running. This way you can run the lights and radios until that battery dies but can still start the truck.
- All new door window seals, gaskets and felts installed.
- Installed a tailgate and have the window and internals for the window.
- Installed a used softtopper to cover the truck. It has a few tears in it.
- Have a hard top that I have been doing some repairs/modifying. Have a set of solid glass windows and a set of good slider windows for it with good vent wings and newer gasket.
- Installed new Energy suspension body mounts.
- Have a new LMC truck hood and front fenders still in the boxes. Hood has new hinges already installed.
- New light bulbs in everything, including headlights.
- Hellia old school round offroad lights. Center spot and outs are floods.
- Roll cage runs thru the body and is welded to the frame.
- I have a lot of extra parts for the truck as well.
Truck has about 8K miles on it since the build. First picture is from my 2K mile break in trip to Southeren Baja for the 50th Baja 1000. no issues.